For this session, the comparison I wished to look at was how social Q & A websites and libraries and schools complement one another in a person's ultimate search for an answer. While it could be said that these two resources compete with each other to monopolize a person's attention, the fact is that, if one looks at the bigger picture, the information gained from the formal structure of schools and libraries and from the informal nature of Q & A websites can supplement each other's weaknesses in order to form a cohesive suite of information.
One of the biggest differences between the information that schools and libraries provide in contrast to Q & A websites (hereafter referred to as 'these sources') is the context in which information is presented. Information gleaned from schools and libraries are typically organized by a general overall topic. For example, if a person wishes to learn about rocks or oceans, he or she could easily find detailed information about them in a book or another printed material. However, if that person wishes to learn about a specific question that is related but may be slightly out of context, such as, "how do people float in water?," he or she will be hard-pressed to figure out where in your book about oceans you can find this information, if it can even be found in the book at all. In contrast, going to an online Q & A website, such as Yahoo! Answers, and typing the exact question in produces several hits:
Clicking on any of these hits brings you to a link that answers the asked question. If the question is nowhere to be found, you can ask it yourself, and, in time, receive an answer to it. These Q & A websites help a person to find specific information quickly.
However, there is one problem with relying on Q & A websites as a trusted source of information: Sometimes, the information provided isn't correct at all, and with the amount of proposed answers a question can get, it results in information overload as the asker does not know who is right. Take the same question about floating in water:
Here, the "best answer" is clearly incorrect to an informed reader. Yet, because people marked it as a "best answer," any reader of this question may be inclined to believe it is correct. In other cases, such is in the example Leibenluft mentions, the chosen answer may be completely absurd, yet because it was chosen as a "best answer," it may cause some people to believe it to be true. For these types of situations, information from schools and libraries is an excellent way to analyze the validity of information found on the Q & A website. Information found in a school or library can generally be considered trustworthy, as the information provided by them is peer reviewed (in most cases). As the information from the Q & A session provides the asker context in which to research and double-check the answer they received, it narrows down the locations in which the asker needs to search. Assuming that the Q & A answer was correct, the person can continue to work from there if he or she wished to learn more about the subject. Schools andlibraries help to provide validity to the information found online.
Another aspect for which these sources varies is on the issue of accountability. In person, everything you say and do will be associated with you. As Dr. Gazan found, people may be hesitant to divulge information if divulging it has a possibility of being detrimental to their life. In his example, an employee who critiques current policy in such a manner that is disliked by a corporate official may soon find him or herself out of a job. In a similar manner, a person who mistakenly provides wrong information or expresses an unpopular opinion may be subject to ridicule from his or her peers. This drastically dilutes the diversity of the information provided and the enthusiasm for which the person who is providing it has if he or she is not completely confident in his or her knowledge. Through means of anonymity, people are free to express their own opinions without the fear of repercussions in everyday life. Q & A websites can do this through pseudonyms, but schools and libraries are much more restricted in their way of providing anonymity. While anonymity can be provided through anonymous queries through written work, if a person wishes to ask a question or provide an answer, he or she will immediately be held accountable for what he or she said.
However, one benefit of interacting in a face-to-face situation is the ability to be able to personally relate to the people you are interacting with and receive immediate feedback. In person, any question asked will be answered almost immediately and is guaranteed to receive an answer (although whether or not the answer is relevant is another story). Online, a question can sit for days before receiving an answer, if it receives an answer at all.
In addition, when you receive answers from people in person, you can relate to the context in which they present the information, while online, they need to spell it out for you. In some cases, the backstory takes longer to read and interpret than the information itself does, if the answerer is even willing to write it.
Both Q & A websites and schools and libraries approach situations in different ways, and have different strengths and weaknesses. Through these strengths and weaknesses, each source can cover for the other's deficiencies and form a more cohesive experience.




I compared Yahooanswers withs the HSPLS and although both had their strengths and weaknesses, I was surprise on the number of Yahooanswer questions that went unanswered, as I would have thought that that type of site would bring quicker results.. Of course, the yahoo site was more user friendly than the HSPLS site but the information not as reliable.
ReplyDeleteOverall, I would think for a (somewhat) quick response on subjects that were of minor importance that Yahooanswers (or another Q&A site) would be fine but for more detailed and reliable information the library is the best :)
I think Caloha’s response about the depth and reliability of information echoes your concern about the quality of peer production. I am a Yahoo Answer user and usually get caught in a stockpile of answers without knowing which one is correct. I think one of the ways to increase the credibility of the answers is to ask the answerer to provide verifiable evidence, which is like what Wikipedia does. Therefore, information seekers have the chance to verify the reliability of the answers. Another way to verify the reliability is that information seekers can check the answerers’ profile, where shows the answerers’ expertise, the rate of their answers chosen as the best answer, the rate of their answers adopted, their response rate, etc. The idea is good, but when I was checking the profiles, I found not every profile was open, and some answerers’ profiles could not even be found. The non-accessibility of some best answerers’ profiles increases the difficulty for information seekers to estimate the quality of the answers. The degree of openness of someone’s profile is a debatable issue since it is related to privacy and security. But, if we want to improve the quality of answers, I think the openness of profiles is necessary. The question is how much openness is acceptable.
ReplyDeleteThanks for bringing up some of the important advantages of face-to-face interaction such as the possibility to receive feedback from the person who answers a question, and also the idea that providing a more detailed background may really influence the kind of answers provided, and might actually make it a lot easier to give the the information needed. I examined the same two areas but only concentrated on online interaction, where most of that kind of close connection gets lost. But it really can make a difference, and the school environment is the best example for this. Although in a library situation one has to wonder how much of the background users are actually willing to divulge... it all depends on the question of course, but I remember from 601 that patrons often don't give all the necessary information to answer a question, and that of course makes it harder for librarians to provide answers. Because no matter how reliable and trustworthy they are as sources, they can only provide good answers if they they really understand the question.
ReplyDeleteI agree that sometimes when using Yahoo Answers I will focus my attention on the "Best Answer," and rarely scroll down after it. What I don't like about YA though is that they shut down comments after a certain time in cases where I'd like to see the evolution of the discussion.
ReplyDeleteYes, it's much easier for people to just blurt out their thoughts in a search string, rather than to think about what subjects they fall under, even for me. I'm currently working on a cataloging job and it takes more thought and effort to find the appropriate authorized subject headings rather than just think up keywords.
Strong post. Indeed, the best or top-rated answer can be very idiosyncratic, which is one reason why online profiles accrue points and ratings, so that future visitors can assess an individual's past behavior. Also, remember that these are social sites, and an asker may uprate or award best answer to someone they recognize, regardless of the relative value of their content. As I wrote on another student's blog, the value of social Q&A sites is in the aggregation of many people's answers, not just the accuracy of the top one. And as you said, the lack of a stable interaction mechanism may mean that some answers are evaluated before the asker has had a chance to explain their question fully.
ReplyDeleteYou mentioned the important issue of the consequences of posting inaccurate information; as we'll see later in the course, there are plenty of trolls, griefers and so on who define a successful interaction as fooling someone into accepting a bad answer as good, or who give bad information for the lulz. Individuals can create multiple profiles, and use them in concert to game the system in a variety of ways, thus promoting bad answers.
sometimes, when I need an answer to something, I just type the question to the 'Google box' and see what results come out. Most of the times results will come out, some accurate, some more irrelevant. A lot of times the questions I am asking have already been asked on one of the social Q&A sites. Sometimes the answer is right, most of the time, it is doubtful. I need to double check, verify, and confirm those answers by furthering my search to Wikipedia, or other more trusted web sources. I do this if I am looking for easy and general answer. For more academic answer, I would go to a librarian or library for an answer.
ReplyDeleteHi! To answer you question " One question: For your non-speaking extras, how do you pick who is better than others? Online, if too many people fit your ideal criteria, do you lottery pick or (I assume) meet with them face to face? I suppose the underlying question is, do you feel that, for the portions of casting that you can conduct online, is it strictly better than doing it as you are now?"
ReplyDeleteI first go through the photos, if they look like they may be a match, then the second step is reading their resumes, if they make it past that, I send an email requesting a RECENT snap shot (people sometimes - a lot of times - do not look like their professional headshots) then I have a phone interview to feel them out.
I hope the HAN actors turn out OK, I will update after the shoot.....